Study reports meditation & holiday breaks boost immune response: read full report here
To read about great ways to manage stress and relax please visit here
…or visit our main site at: www.peakhealthonline.com
Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) / Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurological condition that primarily impairs function in the pre-frontal and frontal regions of the brain. As a result, ADD/ADHD children become impulsive, inattentive and distractable. They also often crave stimulation (good or bad) in an effort to excite their brains.
Many renown entrepreneurs, visionaries, inventors, artists, musicians, scientists and CEOs of corporations have ADD/ADHD. Richard Branson of the Virgin Group of companies attributes his overwhelming business successes to his ADHD! So, properly channelled, the ADHD-induced drive to stimulate and create can be a powerful asset. But without management and direction, it can be excruciatingly difficult for the ADD/ADHD person to regulate him/herself in school, society and in relationships.
All mental functioning involves an element of arousal in the brain – the “awakeness” or alertness of the brain. The level of the brain’s arousal dramatically affects how well a particular mental challenge will be performed. For instance, it is almost impossible to pay attention if the brain is under-aroused, making an abundance of alpha or theta (dreamy) brain waves. And it is just as difficult to fall asleep if the brain is over-aroused, so that even with eyes closed, it is still producing excessive beta (alert) brain waves.
People with attentional problems such as ADD or ADHD have particular difficulty shifting their pre-frontal lobes (the part of the brain behind the forehead) into “gear.” The pre-frontal lobes are responsible for attention, intention and logical reasoning. These areas function poorly in the ADD/ADHD brain because of reduced blood flow and the production of too many slow alpha and/or theta brain waves, especially during cognitive (thinking) tasks and passive tasks (reading).
For those with ADD/ADHD, high levels of stimulation have been shown to wake up the pre-frontal lobes, resulting in reduced hyperactivity, improved attention, and less moodiness.
People with ADD/ADHD do well with stimulating video games and action sports. Unless the activity is exciting (pushing up arousal), the pre-frontal and frontal lobes quickly lose their attentiveness and activation. Theta and/or alpha brain waves increase dramatically and the person “fogs out.”
A lack of stimulation in the typical school setting causes ADD/ADHD children to struggle constantly with mental fog, leading to poor grades.
AVE as a tool to help manage ADD/ADHD
Audio-Visual Entrainment (AVE) benefits the entire brain and body. This is continually evident and demonstrated by those children who have had the opportunity to use AVE in both school and home settings.
In Canada, the home of Mind Alive Inc (who developed the DAVID-range of AVE devices), many schools have initiated AVE programmes for the benefit of their students and staff alike. More and more children are given the opportunity to realise their innate potential that for many would not have been realised.
The AVE sessions on the ALERT are the result of 20 years of combined expertise and research by Michael Joyce of Personal Resource Strategies and David Siever of Mind Alive Inc.
Michael Joyce completed two studies using the DAVID systems to treat ADD/ADHD. His first study involved 30 primary school children from two schools (which was published in the Journal of Neurotherapy) and his second study included 204 children from seven schools, which he completed while he was the Director of Neurotechnology at A Chance to Grow, a special-needs charter school in Minneapolis.
Both studies showed that ADD behaviours were reduced significantly, whilst reading was improved.
The DAVID ALERT Audio-Visual Entrainment device: bred for use in ADD/ADHD
Michael used the DAVIDs’ AVE machines’ unique patented field stimulation ability to generate a different frequency in each hemisphere of the brain. With this technique and a Symptom Survey checklist developed by Michael, he was able to create DAVID sessions that could stimulate or calm the left, right or both hemispheres depending on the symptoms checked off by the child’s parents.
Over time, Michael refined and developed these sessions based on the checklist to produce benefits in specific areas. Now, all of this expertise has been put into the DAVID ALERT AVE device.
The ALERT also features larger easy-to-read, easy-to-operate buttons and allow users to select a session very easily. The ALERT session category buttons are lit to allow the user to see them in the dark.
Mind Alive Inc. has been designing and manufacturing mind enhancement products for 30 years, and has conducted extensive research in that time, continually revealing new applications for this ground breaking technology.
To read more about the research that underpins the development of the DAVID ALERT AVE device, please click here.
The full range of Peak Health Online’s David Audio-Visual Entrainment devices may be viewed here
Do you reach for a pill every time you suffer from low back pain? Health experts recommend that you try these natural fixes for low back pain before seeking a solution from a pill.
According to a Reuters’ news video (see below), lower back pain is sometimes referred to as the “common cold of injuries,” due to approximately 80% of all adults experiencing lower back pain during some point in their lives. In fact, back pain comes in second to respiratory infection as the most common reason patients see a doctor.
The good news is that there are some natural, non-invasive fixes you can do to relieve yourself of what can become debilitating pain without having to resort to taking a pill or other treatment.
Reuters’ Heath Watch Back Pain Tips
Tip #1 Treatment
The most common cause of low back pain is improper sitting position such as sitting hunched over in a rounded shoulder position—a common scenario especially for those who sit for hours at a time in front of a computer. When that happens to you try the following low back pain relief measures:
1. Lie down on your stomach and give your body a chance to relieve some of its pressure on the lower back.
2. If that helps, then while still on your stomach, raise your upper half by resting on your elbows and wait to be sure that your pain is lessening and improving with the added movement.
3. The next step is to expend your upper body even higher by placing your palms down on the floor and perform prone lifts by slowly raising and lowering your upper body causing your back muscles to stretch and relax in its normal motion movement. Your hips should stay flat against the floor as you lift your upper body in this stretch.
4. If you cannot lie down on the floor, you can do a similar pain relieving stretch by standing upright, placing your hands on your lower back over the hips and gently arching your upper body backward and then forward to an upright position, repeating as needed.
Tip #2 Prevention
Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding lower back pain. One way to do this is to place a lumbar support (or a rolled up towel) behind your lower back pressed against your chair while sitting. Doing so will help keep your back in a normal position against slumping. Another way is to take a break from sitting by lying down on your back and bringing both knees together up to your chest, repeating the motion several times. This will help stretch your back muscles and return your body to a normal positioning.
Tip #3 When natural fixes are not the answer
The time to see a surgeon about your lower back pain is when it’s due to physical trauma or the possibility of illness such as cancer. If your lower back pain becomes progressively worse with pain radiating to the legs resulting in tingling sensations (pins and needles), and weakness that extends down to the feet, then it’s time to see a medical professional for help.
If you’d like to consider pharmaceutical-free options for pain relief, then you can view a selection of the latest products for treating a range of pain conditions on our main website, please click here. To explore our complete range of medication-free options to support health, wellbeing and peak performance in study, work and sports, please feel free to visit our home page, here
About the author and source materials:
The author of this article is Tim Boyer. It was originally published by the health magazine,Emax Health and is reproduced here under CCL copyright permissions. The original article, with links to references, may be viewed here. Please note that all article eminating from EmaxHealth are for informational purposes only and should not be considered as medical advice, diagnosis or treatment recommendations.
Reuters “Treat low back pain without surgery” can be found here
Lower back pain is the greatest source of global disability, ahead of nearly 300 other conditions, leading to huge levels of healthcare costs and suffering. And the effects go far beyond pain, weakness and stiffness – they also have a huge impact the social and family lives of sufferers. Many people with lower back pain don’t manage it well because of wrong advice – and a lot of unhelpful myths about what back pain is and what you should do about it. Healthcare professionals all over the world speak to patients who think, for example, that back pain can damage their backs. This is not always the case. The weight of evidence shows that many assumptions made about lower back pain are wrong and, what’s more, could be harmful. Below are some of the most common misconceptions.
1. Moving will make my back pain worse: Do not fear twisting and bending. It is essential to keep moving. Muscles that are in spasm, due to pain, relax when gently moved and stretched. Gradually increase how much you are doing, and stay on the move.
2. Avoid exercise (especially weight training): Back pain should not stop you enjoying exercise or regular activities. In fact, studies have found that continuing with these can help you get better sooner – including weight training. All exercise is safe provided you gradually build up intensity and do not
3. A scan will show exactly what is wrong: There is a poor correlation between findings on a scan and sources of pain. Most adults without back pain will have changes in the anatomy of their spine that are visible age-related adaptations that don’t cause any problems (they are the spinal equivalent of skin wrinkles, visible but not a source of pain). Finding a feature on a spine scan that is strongly related to pain or a serious threat to health is exceptionally rare (less than 1%).
4. Pain equals damage: This was an established view, but more recent research has changed our thinking. Level of pain has very little relationship to damage to the spine and more to do with your unconscious and conscious interpretation of the level of threat the pain represents to the sufferer. Cultural influences, work, stress, past experience and duration of symptoms have a stronger relationship with pain than the number of normal age-related changes you have on your scan.
5. Heavy school bags cause back pain: Heavy school bags are safe. There is no established link between heavy school bags and back pain, but interestingly there is a link with the development of back pain and the child or parent perceiving that the bag will cause problems. Having episodes of back pain is so common that it is abnormal not to have some back pain at some time in your life. Because it is so common, a lot of everyday things, including slouching, twisting, carrying heavy things and exercise, are wrongly blamed for causing or worsening the problem. Having an episode of spinal pain is a normal event in life and while most episodes are brief it is useful to see a healthcare professional for guidance on aiding recovery on occasion. And it is much better to heed good advice, rather than myths, for a speedier recovery.
Explore More: If you’d like to consider pharmaceutical-free options for pain relief, then you can view a selection of the latest products for treating a range of pain conditions on our main website, please click here. To explore our complete range of medication-free options to support health, wellbeing and peak performance in study, work and sports, please feel free to visit our home page, here